Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fat Planet just doesn't feel right

The latest version is a massive improvement over 0.19 because you can control jump height - after some considerable bugfixes. But it feels wrong. You have control over the character's left and right movement, but not momentum. In short, it's too easy to control. I know I shouldn't make a game intentionally difficult to control, but the sense of inertia just isn't there.

Gah. I hate having higher standards these days.

I've never really dabbled in static engines before. Everything I've done so far I've taught myself, I usually end up with the same result as everyone else but 50,000 fewer events. But trying to create a static engine as complex as the one I want would be jumping in the proverbial deep end. With a satchel of bricks.

I've also never based a game on someone else's engine, I think that some engines out there are hideously overused and I don't want to get to the point where all games made with blank play exactly like blank.

I've already got my eyes on the horizon, I really want to see what I can do after Fat Planet. It'll have to wait.

Space Tile Hopper 2 still has it's fantastic glitch. I'm moving the level events over to global - that way I can make some levels and hopefully release a beta of the damn thing before I have to preoccupy myself with fixing it.

On the side note I'm continuing with my under-the-hood improvements to the website. It'd be nice if I could get some adverts on. Yes it would. That's a pipe dream though, nobody wants to advertise on my site unless it gets 500,000 pageviews a day. Such is life.

- Rob

No comments: